Friday 3 October 2008

Setting your RAS

Kind of WOW related, kind of not....

My lovely husband is a Business Coach - he helps people get the most from their Businesses. Since he gave up being an IT Director at a well known company our lives have changed so much. I'm not a great one for change. I like to know what I'm doing and where I'm going and I'm happy with the status-quo. That being said I actually do a lot more change than I pretend to dislike...

One of the things he teaches people is about setting their RAS - it stands for Reticular Activating System and is to do with how your mind works. I'm not going to blab on too much about it, but basically what you program your brain for, you are more likely to achieve. If you're thinking about a new car, for example, and choose a Jaguar (let's say). You never see any about until you decide that's what you want, or even get one. Then - they are everywhere! You can't miss them. Where they hell did they come from? Truth is they were already there, you've just programmed your brain to notice them now.

Over the last few days I've been mulling over people's behaviour and some things that have happened to me. This morning the universe provided me with the exact response and thoughts that have been going through my head. Bre posted An Open Letter to Vonya and in it was a reference to a post by Vonya that so eloquently describes my feeling I could have almost written it myself. It's called Entitlement. Make a cuppa and sit down and read it - it's AMAZING.

So - that got me thinking even more - what are you programming your RAS for when WotLK comes out? Are you convinced that your guild will fail, or are you happy with the knowledge that you've got a strong team and will go on to bigger and better things and grow together even more. Are you sure that your loot will never drop, or are you thinking that the nice bit of kit would look lovely on your character? What you're thinking and how you're thinking will ultimately be your reward...


It reminds me of a famous Henry Ford quote "Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."

I think my failure to get my much wanted pets recently could be because I've set my RAS to never get one, to have to do certain bosses over and over again. When I won my [Phoenix Hatchling] I went in the instance for the first time, knowing it was to be mine - and it was.

Apologies for the deep and meaningful stuff on a Friday, but my brain has gone into overload. I'm going to have to change when WotLK comes out - I'm going to have to change sooner than that with the patch before it. This time I'm looking to embrace the changes and be positive. If you think life it hard, it is. If you change your RAS, re-program your brain and think positively about your life and people in it, it has a far better chance of being just that.

So - my final(ish) comment for the day - if you see someone today without a smile - give them one of yours. Being called a happy person is a wonderful feeling, even when you're having an off day. It saddens me to think that some people live all their lives having off-days, with the occasional really really bad day. It must be awful.

No comments: